Re: V$ tables

From: Charlie Edwards <Charlie3101_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2002 06:47:37 -0700

"Hemant K Chitale" <hkchital_nospam_at_singnet_nospam.com.sg> wrote in message news:<aenhhq$khr$1_at_clematis.singnet.com.sg>...
> Ask the DBA to post his reasoning to this news-group.
> The gang here should be able to satisfy him that
> access to other V$ views pose no security risks
> [and give him a good piece/peace of mind as well]
>
> Hemant

Well I've had my meeting with the DBA ...

Me : I would like developers to be ganted SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE, please.
DBA: I'm not prepared to give you that.
Me : Can you explain why please?
DBA: Security issues.
Me : What security issues?
DBA: There are views in SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE that compromise security
of the system.
Me : You surprise me. Which views are those? DBA: I am not prepared to tell you, as this may compromise security too.

At this point things started to get a little heated, but I won't go into the sordid details.

Now I've been thinking about this for some time. The only thing I can think of is that SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE has access to DBA_USERS, which contains the hashed password. Is there a security issue here or in any of the views (below)?

Thanks

CE

CODE_PIECES
CODE_SIZE