Re: Rollback extents

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:00:40 +0100

> > That is what I get for working on this at 5AM.
> >
> > Nologging is of course for used to suspend redo generation.
> >
> > Interesting though. If you do a direct load insert
> > you can still issue a rollback and at least some
> > rollback information is generated. I was playing with this today.
> >

> DMLs all generate redo, because they can all be rolled back unless you
> set autocommit to true. I have yet to see an exception.

This is true, but how much rollback is a different question.

SQL> drop table nl_objects;

Table dropped.

SQL> create table nl_objects
  2 as select * from all_objects;

Table created.

SQL> insert into nl_objects select * from nl_objects;

29085 rows created.

SQL> / 58170 rows created.

SQL> / 116340 rows created.

SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> insert into nl_objects select * from nl_objects;

232680 rows created.

SQL> select used_urec,used_ublk
  2* from v$transaction
SQL> /  USED_UREC USED_UBLK
---------- ----------

      5872 105

SQL> rollback;

Rollback complete.

SQL> insert /*+ append */ into nl_objects select * from nl_objects;

232680 rows created.

SQL> select used_urec,used_ublk
  2 from v$transaction;

 USED_UREC USED_UBLK

         1 1

SQL> rollback;

Rollback complete.

SQL> So my normal insert into uses 105 blocks of undo space. The direct load insert uses 1.

As for exactly what is recorded in undo/rollback in the case of direct load then I think you are into Jonathan territory.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA