Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Joe Salmeri <JoeSalmeri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:29:27 GMT

It was my understanding that it would reduce the fragmentation in each of the datafiles but that doesn't address the issue where you have 3 data files in a tablespace each with 200mb free and I need to allocate a 600mb extent.

Are you saying that locally managed tablespaces will allow Oracle to allocate part of the extent from one data file and the rest from a different datafile? If so I will investigate using locally managed tablespaces, currently we are using dictionary based, we just recently upgraded to Oracle 8i from 8.0.5. From what I have read so far it stil appears that an extent must be contiguious within a single datafile.