Re: Help! Oracle server clustering

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 27 Jun 2002 09:51:34 -0700

In article <3D1A6B21.2B64EBC_at_firstdbasource.com>, Michael says...

snip

>The biggest problem is that people don't know what a real cluster is.
>
>NT is not a cluster. It it a fail-over only solution (sys-a dies sys-b
>wakes up, tries to recover and then continues)
>
>A real cluster will allow 100% availability of the application,
>database, files on all node concurrently.
>
>For the real definition read up on OpenVMS clusters -- this is where it
>all started.
>
>Try running 9iRAC on Tru64 TruCluster or OpenVMS Cluster. A common file
>system requiring only one install of the software, updates, patches, one
>set of files to backup, and if configured correctly could lose any piece
>of hardware and the application/database would still be 100% available.
>
>You can rip a disk, network cable, powercord from either system and the
>cluster continues to function. (Generally configured in an N+1
>configuration - say you need 3 nodes to handle all of the processing,
>you would get 4 so that if any one node crashed, you still have enough
>capacity to run your shop.-- try that with NT) and if configured
>correctly the nodes and mirrored disk would be in different buildings:
>Bankers Trust (or whoever they are today) had nodes in NYC and nodes in
>NJ).
>
>And yes, I am still an OpenVMS biggot.

Yes, we gathered that! ;)

My first DBA work was with VMS many years ago. You'd think as this technology gets passed from company to company (Digital to Compaq to HP) that they'd take advantage of the clustering technology so they became more similar wouldn't you? Hopefully, we'll see clustered file systems start proliferating a bit more. Certainly makes RAC life a hell of a lot easier!

Pete
>--
>Regards,
>
>Michael Austin OpenVMS User since June 1984
>First DBA Source, Inc. Registered Linux User #261163
>Sr. Consultant http://www.firstdbasource.com
> http://www.firstdbasource.com/donation.html
>704-947-1089 (Office) 704-236-4377 (Mobile)

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu Jun 27 2002 - 11:51:34 CDT