Re: Has anyone heard of a 64KB limit for ONE stored proc in Oracle 817

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:08:05 GMT

Norman Dunbar wrote:

> I've been told by a colleague, from one of our other offices, that
> Oracle 817 has a limit of 64KB as the size of a stored procedure's
> source code. Has anyone any details of this ?
>
> I've been through the 817 docs and not found anything that states this.
> If you know where it is, I'd appreciate a pointer please.
>
> The problem is, the app in question allows the users to create a
> document.
> This is stored as a stored procedure - which confuses the hell out of me
> as to exactly how they do it. When they want to recreate the doc, they
> just run the stored proc.
>
> I've got no idea of the internals of this system, it's a Forms thing and
> we don't have/use forms in this office.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Norman.
>
> PS. I found out that in order for users to create the docs and run them,
> they *must have* CREATE_ANY_PROCEDURE and EXECUTE_ANY_PROCEDURE privs.
> Oh dear !
>
> I've already demonstrated how to trash a database with these privs alone
> - they didn't like me much after that !!!
>
> -------------------------------------
> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
> mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
> Tel: 0113 289 6265
> Fax: 0113 289 3146

My suspicions is one of the following:

  1. You don't know what is actually being done. or
  2. Neither did the person that wrote the code.

Storing a document as a procedure makes absolutely no sense ... Forms or no forms. I would suggest that further research is required.

It seems far more likely that a procedure is being used to store documents which is a very different thing.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jun 27 2002 - 12:08:05 CDT