Re: Any Recommendations On Oracle Server Spec, Itanium , Sun or IBM

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:58:10 GMT

Niko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to spec an Oracle server and basically have between a 1000 and
> 1500 dollars a month budget for the hardware, assuming I recommend a
> lease.(I think that equate to around 40K to 60K of hardware)
>
> The intended use is for a 100GB data warehouse, with probably only a
> couple of queries running at a time.
>
> My options are
>
> 4 way Itanium, 4-8GB of RAM Linux 64 Bit, IBM or DELL I guess
> 4 way XEON MP, 4-8GB of RAM Linux, again IBM or DELL
> Sunfire of some kind running Solaris
> IBM of somekind running something.
>
> Any recommendations on what I should be looking at, I basicaly want
> the fastest box for my money, and I already have the backup stuff
> covered. My concern with the non unix boxes is the IO performance
> compared to a normal unix platform.
>
> TIA
Yep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2034491314
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2034939037
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2033555990
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2035086066

And no they are not mine.

Invest a few more dollars in upgrading the RAM and disks and getting a support contract and I'd rather have them than all the PC hardware around. Perhaps more cash up front and likely you can still get a leasing company to work with you.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jun 27 2002 - 11:58:10 CDT