Moving tables between tablespaces?

From: [ste parker] <imaginey_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:52:00 +0100

Hi,

    I'm having a problem at the moment for which the solution is 1. Recompile a program, or 2. Change the tablespace that two tables reside in, so the program works as intended.

  1. Is difficult, as I don't have the source code, and if I did I'd have to set up a build environment, and unfortunately there's no time for that.
  2. Seems reasonable enough to me, but the DBA who would have to carry this out says he'd have to "restructure the whole database", which I thought odd. It might be a language thing, but I would have thought that it would be simple enough to create another tablespace with the same extents etc, just not called "AS" this time, then move the two tables into the new tablespace. If this is a bad/wrong/difficult thing to do, could someone please explain why to me? Also, if it isn't an unreasonable thing to do, can someone tell me exactly what needs to be done to do this (under Oracle 8.1.6), so I can put a proper proposal forward?

Thanks a lot.

[ste] Received on Thu Jun 27 2002 - 07:52:00 CDT