Re: Help! Oracle server clustering

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 26 Jun 2002 10:59:42 -0700

In article <1b9e9988.0206260809.4efe5df4_at_posting.google.com>, thuthaot_at_hotmail.com says...

>I am looking to have my 8i oracle server run on NT to two compaq Win2K
>servers that will back-up for each other. I dont' know waht method I
>use use and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
>
>1. Clustering server or server-mirroring?
>2. what tools do I need?
>3. Does Oracle 8i support clustering?
>4. Any suggestions on using Oracle on Win2K clustering on Fault
>Tolerance Features?
>
>Thanks for any of your feedbacks
>thao

Need to know more before we can give firm suggestions:

  1. Are the two boxes clustered or not?
  2. What are you trying to protect against (machine failure, disaster recovery, etc.)?
  3. Do you want the second box to be used in an active-active configuration, or is active-standby what you're looking at?

Depending on the answers to the above, start investigating Parallel Server (RAC would be a better option if you can upgrade to 9i) or Oracle FailSafe (NOT Oracle Parallel FailSafe which is a different beastie).

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Jun 26 2002 - 12:59:42 CDT