Re: whats going on

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:03:57 GMT

Pete Sharman wrote:

> In article <h_7S8.20965$Hj3.65954_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Richard says...
> >
> anip
> > And it's people such
> >as Daniel, Sybrand, Niall, Howard and everyone else who contributes to the
> >newsgroup so selfishly that need to be congratulated on making it all
> >possible.
> >

> Hmm, I think you mean selflessly? Or is that inside out down under now as well?
> ;)
>
> >How to address the issue of the incompetent DBA. Well, it ain't easy because
> >you can't change human nature. For a start though, having an effective OCP
> >program would help. Commercial pilots have to undergo training and testing
> >to ensure they can actually fly and land the thing in an emergency.
> >Answering a few multiple choice questions is not sufficient proof of
> >competency for a pilot, why should a DBA with an organisations valuable data
> >and systems in their care be any different ? Have a real test (which could
> >be in a simulated environment) where someone has to install Oracle, and
> >set-up a database, and manage those components and tune the database and
> >recovery the database, etc. If you can't land the plane, you can't fly. If
> >you can't recover that datafile, you can't DBA. It's more expensive to
> >set-up (enough said) but it's where we need to go. And no, attending that
> >one course is not sufficient.
>
> From what I've seen, the OCM (Oracle Certified Masters) program is actually
> making some real headway here. Not only do you have to have the theoretical
> knowledge by passing the OCP, but you also have to attend and pass what they're
> calling a "practicum exam". This is a two day hands on prove you can do it sort
> of event. I'm attending a pilot for it in a couple of months, so it should be
> interesting to see what it's like.
>
> Pete
> >
> >Having more affordable training would also help though. I worked for Oracle
> >for many years and although the courses aren't perfect, they're an excellent
> >introduction to Oracle (and in some cases offer excellent advanced subject
> >matter as well). However, the cost is soooo expensive and a big turn off for
> >many people (who hence follow the "easy" road). It's a battle I never won
> >but by making the training affordable and encouraging rather than not
> >encouraging people to do the training would be a big plus for the industry
> >(and importantly Oracle Corp as well).
> >
> >And finally there needs to be a realisation by the IT decision makers out
> >there that the IT infrastructure is vital for the success of the
> >organisation, that you need sophisticated software to stay ahead and that
> >there is no "easy" way for people to gain the required knowledge without
> >much training and experience. Unfortunately, IT managers and decision makers
> >are human as well and if there's an "easy" way, they'll find it. Can't win.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Richard

> [...]

Sounds like the OCM is a step in the right direction. But it will only have value if it is perceived by industry as a an asset for which they are willing to either (A) pay substantially more and (B) refuse to hire those without.

But I will be very interested in hearing your opinion of the program. Will you still have your job if your opinion is unkind? Hmmmm.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jun 26 2002 - 12:03:57 CDT