Re: How to use 9i's dbstart on Linux?

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:54:30 +0200

Peter Peltonen wrote:

> I've got Oracle 9iR1 DB installed on RedHat Linux 7.2.
>
> I can start/stop the db via SQLPLUS and OEM but not from command line.
> Shouldn't I be able to do this?
>
> I found dbstart and dbshut scripts but I'm a bit puzzled how to use them.
> If I just run them nothing happens (and nothing in alert log).
>
> My db is configure in /etc/oratab:
> --<snip>--
> *:/opt/oracle/product/9.0.1:N
> test:/opt/oracle/product/9.0.1:N
> --</snip>--

You found the reason. If you want your instance named test to be started by dbstart, you have to tell it dbstart by changing the /etc/oratab entry to

test:/opt/oracle/product/9.0.1:Y

The last parameter (Y) tells dbstart|dbshut to start|shutdown the database.

Regards,

Knut Received on Wed Jun 26 2002 - 10:54:30 CDT