Re: Daniel Morgan and Syband Bakker

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 26 Jun 2002 08:09:09 -0700

In article <afcikb$mqb$1_at_cronkite.cc.uga.edu>, jeff_at_work.com says...

>In article <afa8sq027mk_at_drn.newsguy.com>, Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>
>>Nope, sort area size is always PGA memory -- sort area retained.... now that
>>might be in the UGA which is in the SGA when using shared server.....
>>
>>sort area = PGA always.
>
>That's semantics on Oracle's part then. They've certainly made the
>distinction between PGA and UGA in their training classes.

No semantics here. There is a huge difference between them -- what I said never would lead one to believe otherwise.

It is that the UGA is part of the PGA in dedicated server. The UGA is part of the SGA in shared (MTS) server.

and most importantly for this question -- the sort_area_size is PGA memory. PGA stands for Process global area, it is always PROCESS memory, not SGA memory.

You said:

>Sybrand, if you are NOT "running dedicated server" (you're running MTS?) and
>using shared server processes, then the sort area is in the UGA, which IS in
>the SGA. If you ARE using dedicated server processes, the sort area is in the
>PGA and not the SGA.

that is not "semantically" incorrect -- it is factually inaccurate. The sort area size comes from PGA. The sort area retained size comes from the UGA. Sometimes the UGA is IN the PGA -- sometimes not.

If you have my book -- I actually use sort_area_size and sort_area_retained_size to demonstrate this behavior with lots of examples

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/