Re: whats going on

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 26 Jun 2002 08:18:48 -0700

In article <BoaS8.15392$5M2.823601_at_news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Gennadiy says...

>I gess, that work some "laws":
>- IT industry an Oracle too try to make markiting strategy
>We going to create command "ALTER SYSTEM WORKS BETTER" ...
>All our product now easy to use then before
>And more "DBA" begin "works" with Oracle.
>But in same time using Oracle 9.01 now more difficult then for example with
>7.3.4
>(# of tuning parameters increse in 5..8 times)
>
>-- another law -- more people in IT business, less average qualification.

5 to 8 times? how so:

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production

ops$tkyte_at_ORA9I.WORLD> select count(*) from v$parameter;

  COUNT(*)

       252

ops$tkyte_at_ORA9I.WORLD> Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production

Wed Jun 26 11:10:28 EDT 2002
(tkyte_at_aria-dev) /export/home/tkyte
> dev734

Wed Jun 26 11:10:38 EDT 2002
(tkyte_at_aria-dev) /export/home/tkyte
> plus

SQL*Plus: Release 3.3.4.0.1 - Production on Wed Jun 26 11:10:40 2002

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1996. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.1 - Production With the distributed, parallel query and Spatial Data options PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

ops$tkyte_at_ORA734.WORLD> select count(*) from v$parameter;

  COUNT(*)

       172

ops$tkyte_at_ORA734.WORLD>

There are not even 2x -- but even more importantly -- many are to take the place of alot.

pga_aggregate_target -- replaces the _size ones (one parameter replace many) parallel_automatic_tuning -- replaces the many tweaks for parallel operations db_create_file_dest -- replaces the need to even think up file names anymore

and so on. It is not any harder to manage -- it is *different* and the percieved difficulty is that many things you "knew" no longer apply. New is hard, old is comfortable.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/