Re: Connect to Oracle from J2EE. Use Oracle connection pooling or Java

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:37:25 +1000

In article <1320e374.0206260135.78f47dcf_at_posting.google.com>, you said (and I quote):

> (a) Let J2EE manage the database connection pooling (and therefore
> connect to a single Oracle USER) or

Yup, know this one only too well...

> (b) Let Oracle 8i manage the connection pooling (9i soon), with every
> user connecting to a dedicated NAMED Oracle USER and therefore tighten
> security

Easiest way to ensure security. But that is never a concern for these people.

> I think the Java Development Architect is suffering from "not invented
> in Java" syndrome here. He's insisting that the team NEED to connect
> to Oracle through a single USERID and therefore handle all the
> security within the Java Application Server and the custom built
> application itself.

Yeah, the theory being that security is part of the "business logic" and therefore needs to be maintained in the "application server layer". Which when it is really implemented, ends up being in the LDAP server. Remotely maintained and 10 times more complex and open to interference than it ever would if b) had been taken...

> His argument INCLUDES the need to pool (ie.
> multiplex) database connections in the Java Application Server, and as
> Java is my PERSONAL weak point he's playing that card particularly
> strongly.

That has bugger all to do with security. He's just repeating the tired and old "shopping cart" mantra, the only application all these J2EE idiots ever met. There is no reason whatsoever why he can't use the Oracle MTS. However, if he wants to use pure J2EE with a non-Oracle app server, then he really needs to have that connection sharing through the app server: only way of ensuring the moronic EJBs can commit transactions properly.

> memory. Users currently absolute maximum of 50, with growth to 200
> maximum in 3 years. Typically you'll have about 10-20 users online at
> any time - but working against very large data sets. ie. Typical
> Data Warehouse profile - not OLTP where these connection pooling type
> solutions are a concern.

Oh yes: J2EE and its suitability to handle thousands of users is not an overkill in this environment. And I'm Santa Claus.

> Is there anyone out there who feels differently? Is there a
> compelling reason for (a) ? Are there any alternatives ?

Not in your environment. Neither is there ANY reason for J2EE. So, take one erroneous decision and keep multiplying it with all its trimmings and you have an idea what's going on.

> It seems to me the Java Architect thinks I'm being paranoid about
> security (justifiably so) and protective of my own domain (about as
> far away from the truth as it's possible to be).

No. He's just another idiot, with no experience whatsoever of developing systems before he read the "Java for dummies" book.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto