Re: Duplicate databases

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:14:50 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:10:12 +0100, "mike Desouza" <mike_at_archoak.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Need some help on the following
>I have got two databases called training on two different servers, But I am
>having problems connecting to one of the databases from one of the servers.
>
>Here is my samples of the tnsnames.ora file
>
>CLONE =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = DC_D1)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = training)
> )
> )
>TRAINING =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = DC_T0)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = training)
> )
> )
>
>But when i connect to the training database on the DC_D1 box from the dc_t0
>box i get the following error
>
> connect sys/training_at_clone as sysdba
> ERROR:
> ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect
>descriptor
>
>Any ideas
>
>Cheers
>mike

Is a copy of the TNSNAMES file as shown here on BOTH servers? Remember, TNSNAMES is used by the CLIENT, not by the server. In the situation you discribe, box dc_t0 is acting as the client, so it is HIS TNSNAMES that is relevant.

If you already knew this, then 'never mind', but you'd be surprised at how often this point is missed. Bottom line is, ORA-12514 is *always* a problem with the TNSNAMES file. Or fat-fingering the connect command . . .

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)