Re: standby licensing

From: Mark <mark_at_umpuffa.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:50:24 +0200

My experience is that Oracle does not treat a standby any different than a production database (their comment will be that you did not get any cheap price for the hardware and according to Larry "you do not need a standby machine and waist hardware but run RAC"). Anyhow, since this is Oracle's view the this issue the licensing is fairly simple.   a.. If you have a named user license and you are (with the standby machine included) still within the named user minimum limitations, you do not need additional licensing. Example

    2 x one cpu machines. Current Oracle database license is 50 NU, -> no additional license required since no new Named Users are added and minimum licensing is met (minimum for EE is 10 Named User per CPU, minimum for SE is 5 Named User per CPU).

    2x two cpu machines, current Oracle database license is 20 NU --> additional licenses are required.
  a.. If you have a processor license the number of licenses should meet the number of processor.
(i would like to note that Oracle changes rules frequently so going trough your Oracle sales rep is the best way).