Re: venting my spleen

From: Charlie Edwards <Charlie3101_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Jun 2002 02:40:53 -0700

spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed Stevens) wrote in message news:<3d1883ad.4962926_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com>...
> Part Duex.
>
> Actually, my statement that they wanted a SYSDBA userid was not quite accurate.
> What they asked for, and got, was the password for SYSTEM.
>
> This gets scarier by the minute! Since my first posting, the team lead has
> called us about every 30 minutes. Now it turns out that they have scripts for
> createing the tablespaces themselves -- even to the point that they insist on
> naming the files . . . and scripts within scripts within scripts, so that they
> are reluctant to ("Can't") change anything.
>
> I know from past experience that DBA will have no weight at all against the
> development team, and yet will be expected to make this all work when it goes to
> production. The best I can hope for is to start educating my manager and going
> on record with the anticipated problems.
>
> Additional input anyone?

As a developer, I tend to look at things from the other point of view, but in this case I totally agree with the other postings.

I wouldn't want DBA rights to a database. I wouldn't the responsibility for messing things up (not that I would, of course, but I could always be blamed ;-)). Developers shouldn't be able to create datafiles - how can they possibly know all the disk utilisation issues. Stick by your guns here - you're absolutely correct.

Also, isn't it funny how you get different working environments? The phrase "I know from past experience that DBA will have no weight at all against the development team" is the complete opposite of my situation. Here, developers are irritants in the domain of the DBA. And that's a DBA who doesn't use LMTs or achive logging, has multiple production databases on the same machine, doesn't like to give access to v$ views to developers, etc, etc.

Good luck Ed - you'll need it!

CE Received on Wed Jun 26 2002 - 04:40:53 CDT