Ora-12638 credential retreival failed / Win2k

From: Peter Laursen <ptl_at_edbgruppen.dk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:28:24 +0200

Hi,

I have just installed 8.1.6.0.0( I know old, not final unpatched) on a Win 2k server. When trying any connection to the database from the server it self I get the Ora-12638 Credential retrieval failed. I can connect from clientmachines using OS-autentication. In fact I can connect to the database from any machine I have tried - just not from the server itself. Sqlnet.ora is sqlnet.authentication_services = (NTS). I need the OS-authentication. Just commenting out that line in sqlnet.ora is not going to solve anything.

Oracle help suggest that the server cannot contact the KDC (Kerberos Key Centre) server on the Win2k Domain Controller. How can I see if this in fact the problem? Can I trace to see which Domain Server this is machine is trying to contact?

I am working with the windows admin that installed the OS. He says everything is fine on his side.
Is this really an Oracle problem or a Windows problem?

TIA
Peter Laursen Received on Wed Jun 26 2002 - 03:28:24 CDT