Database Server Spec. Help!

From: Thao <thuthaot_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 21:50:47 -0700

I am looking for a decent, high-speed Oracle application server, specifically Compaq ML570 family. I wonder what each of following server component scale in respect to increase performance,reliability, and easy to manage.

  1. Number of processors? (Xeon 900 MHz vs. Xeon 700 MHz)
  2. Cache Memory (should 2-MB level 2 write back cache per processor be overkilled or ok with 1-MB level 2)
  3. Storage controller: Integrated Dual Channel Wide Ultra 2 SCSI adapter (what is Integrated Smart Array controller? should I have it? )
  4. 2 x 450W power supplies ( should I get a redundant one?)
  5. 1024 MB PC100MHz ECC SDRAM DIMM Memory
  6. are Extra fans needed? (in addition of 5)
  7. should I have RAID or mirror configured hardrive?

This server will load with OS and application server which will attach with a RAID-5 where main database is stored

Thank you for any of suggestions you may have Thao Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 23:50:47 CDT