Re: whats going on

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 02:07:02 GMT

I agree with you Richard. I was working with a customer who told me a story about a famous rabbi. This rabbi was asked if he could teach the student the Torah while he(the student) was standing on one foot. The Rabbi's reply was "Read it, learn it." I think the point of the story is that learning complex things have a benefit far beyond the actual "facts" or knowledge about the specific thing that one is studying. The journey is more important than the destination. It is this deep knowledge - understanding of the concepts, not being able to parrot things - and problem solving ability that puts one far above the normal dull average. Yes, there is a difference between the MS world and the Oracle world. Today I had to generate a query based upon the system catalogs in SQLServer - having to do with replication - and so I read the online book to figure out what table I would have to look at. Useless, they just tell you how to view it in a pretty GUI in the over 100 hits I got back searching for the information. I never found the information. Instead I went spelunking in the tables and found it. MS people love the GUI; well that's fine, but you then have no concept of how it works underneath and thus if something isn't working you can't debug it. At least in Oracle I can look in a manual and see complete definitions of the system catalogs. (something pretty basic at least as it pertains to CODD - the rule you should be able to query the meta data in the same manner as the regular data)

Jim

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:h_7S8.20965$Hj3.65954_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> The issue here is simply one of human nature. It is human nature to try
and
> cut corners, take the "easy" way, accomplish a task by doing as little as
> possible, get rich quick, etc. You see it everywhere. People trying to
lose
> weight the "easy" way by wearing some weird device instead of doing
regular
> exercise and eating properly. People buying the latest DVD player the
"easy"
> way by plonking it on a credit card and paying for it endlessly instead of
> saving for it and buying it when it can be afforded. I could go on but you
> get the drift.
>
> Unfortunately, when it comes to Oracle and Oracle DBAing specifically,
there
> really isn't an easy way. The Oracle database is a very clever,
complicated,
> sophisticated product that requires a great deal of effort to learn and
> fully comprehend. Some people see this as a bad thing but it's not, it's
> Oracle's great strength because it Oracle's versatility and flexibility
that
> allows it to be effective in all the different complicated and
sophisticated
> applications that it needs to be. However people see this as a bad thing
> because there is no easy way to grasp all this and apply it effectively.
>
> Doesn't stop people trying the easy way though and unfortunately there are
> indeed a lot of people who try. The results are often disastrous.
Newsgroups
> such as this are great for those after the quick learn. However,
newsgroups
> are also great for those after a point of view, or who have legitimately
> tried to find the answer elsewhere without success, who have a time issue
> and use this as an option for the solution or who have done the hard yards
> and see this as way of continuing the learning process. And it's people
such
> as Daniel, Sybrand, Niall, Howard and everyone else who contributes to the
> newsgroup so selfishly that need to be congratulated on making it all
> possible.
>
> How to address the issue of the incompetent DBA. Well, it ain't easy
because
> you can't change human nature. For a start though, having an effective OCP
> program would help. Commercial pilots have to undergo training and testing
> to ensure they can actually fly and land the thing in an emergency.
> Answering a few multiple choice questions is not sufficient proof of
> competency for a pilot, why should a DBA with an organisations valuable
data
> and systems in their care be any different ? Have a real test (which could
> be in a simulated environment) where someone has to install Oracle, and
> set-up a database, and manage those components and tune the database and
> recovery the database, etc. If you can't land the plane, you can't fly. If
> you can't recover that datafile, you can't DBA. It's more expensive to
> set-up (enough said) but it's where we need to go. And no, attending that
> one course is not sufficient.
>
> Having more affordable training would also help though. I worked for
Oracle