Re: Increasing Value of SORT_AREA_SIZE Even if Few Disk Sorts in v8.0.6

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:59:03 +0200

You almost answered your question yourself. If a sort does not fit in SORT_AREA_SIZE, it is written to TEMP. Then when SORT_AREA_SIZE is filled up again, it writes to TEMP again. At the end the parts have to be merged (and written to TEMP).

It's obvious writing to TEMP slows down the sort. By regular querying V$SORT_USAGE you can see how much TEMP is used by each session currently using TEMP.
That should give an impression how much disk sorts can be prevented by a larger SORT_AREA_SIZE.

Can't give any advice on SORT_DIRECT_WRITES setting. I thought TEMP was already bypassed from the buffer cache but the description of this parameter in the Reference Guide makes me doubt that. In V8.1 this parametes is obsolete, maby because it did not worked so good (just a guess).

SAP BASIS Consultant <basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws dd2036f3.0206251135.10c73a2c_at_posting.google.com...