Re: oracle froms and starting program

From: Suresh Bhat <oracleguru_at_lycos.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 13:38:35 -0700

"Martin Burkert" <martin.burkert_at_a1plus.at> wrote in message news:<adkb95$6mq$1_at_fstgss02.tu-graz.ac.at>...
> Hello!
>
> I'ld like to start Windows Programs out of a Program implemented in Oracle
> Forms 6i. The problemset is, that the subprogram host(programname.exe)
> starts the Program synchonous to the Form (it is inpossible to work with the
> Form in background until the WindowsProgram has been closed).
>
> Is there a way to start programs out of Oracle Forms asynchron to the Form?
>
> However I've got the same Problem with called Forms from a form. I would
> like to start from a Root-Form some other Forms asynchron to the root-Form
> (with the call command). How can I do this?
>
> greetings Martin

To your query:

One poster simply said use open_form. If you have figured it out, ignore it, but here is how I use it in a multiform menu driven Oracle application.

    open_form('analysis_lab', activate, session, share_library_data);

Another question you had was how do you start another program from a form.
Here are couple of examples. You can change MAX to MIN to start the program
in minimized window. I learned this by typing help in the MS-DOS command
prompt window.

    Starting MS program ( in this case WordPerfect):

       :global.var :=
	'start /MAX \\Ntapps\software\WP\WPWIN\wpwin.exe';
        host(:global.var);

    Starting SQL*Plus program for the user who started the form     with parameters passed to the SQL*Plus:

       :global.var :=
	'start /MAX \\ntapps\software\orant\bin\plus80w.exe '||
	:global.username||'/'||:global.password||
	'@'||:global.instance||'  @\\ntapps\software\'||
	'gchart6i\review_analysis_lab_hist.sql  :analysis_block.analysis_no';
        host(:global.var);

        :global.* are obtained from get_application_property at form
startup.

Hope that helps.

Suresh Bhat Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 15:38:35 CDT