Re: venting my spleen

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:00:26 +0200

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:10:36 -0500, "Kevin Brand" <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com> wrote:

>Next week they'll probably start mucking with undo and redo. Then a few
>days later they'll want the oracle account password ( unix ) or access as
>administrator ( windose ).

That is exactly what has happened here. Third party package sold to a Dutch DSL provider, by a big UK consultancy firm, which shall be unnamed, but has a 4 letter acronym (Niall, are you there). DBA and sysadmin has been outsourced to our company, and we now have 3 people full time on this configuration.
They can't do anything when they don't have access to the oracle account. To rebuild indexes they need to bounce the database, because otherwise the client processes may interfere. Needless to say the consultancy firm has excellent lawyers, and is waiving every responsibility.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 13:00:26 CDT