Re: ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:51:21 GMT

"Catalino L. Idang" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm using a software called Adonix X3 which uses Oracle 8i as its data
> server. One of its procedures that I usually run in unattended batch
> mode is the data validation, and whenever this process is launched,
> the error "ORA-12571:TNS:packet writer failure" always comes out.
> What is this error all about and what are its causes? Our Oracle 8i
> ERP server is installed in a separate dedicated machine.
>
> Nilo Idang
> cidang_at_compuserve.com

No operating system unfortunately but ...

Intermittent SQL*Net TCP/IP read and write errors are sometimes encountered on NT. The underlying reasons of these errors are a synchronization error in the TCP/IP layer on NT. To help prevent this kind of errors, a few things can be adjusted to help the synchronization.

  1. check for mistakes in the parenthesis in the tnsnames.ora file.
  2. remove any duplicate entries in listener.ora and tnsnames.ora if that doesn't resolve it try:

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=0 in sqlnet.ora

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 10:51:21 CDT