ORA-12154 errors on Win2K system with 8.1.7 driver

From: Troy High <thigh_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 07:44:12 -0700

Just for the record,

I have been plagued with intermittent ORA-12154 errors on my Win2K web server which has the Oracle 8.1.7 client on it. I have been developing ASP applications that have given this error at times. Recently, I started checking the NTFS permissions and discovered that only the "Administrator" account had any rights to the executables or the tnsnames.ora file. After adding the SYSTEM account with full rights, the ORA-12154 errors went away.

I hope somebody else out there can benefit from this tidbit of knowledge. I spent a LOT of time debugging this issue and it is too bad that the Oracle installer does not create these permissions by default.

Troy High
thigh_at_Bigfoot.com Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 09:44:12 CDT