Re: venting my spleen

From: David Lord <davelord_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:20:49 +0200

This sounds all too familiar. If when the development team arrive and the first thing that they ask for is a DBA priv. account (or the SYS password) and then need help using SQL*Plus (or as is usual, insist the TOAD be installed because they have scripts that only work in it etc etc), then almost always you have a team with no experience, usually graduates from a big consultancy and a month of Oracle training. Or maybe I have bad luck that way.

There is little that you can do at this point. Talk to your client / your boss and tell them you are concerned about security / stability / your future share values etc. Then make sure that you test the backup and recovery procedures. Really. Test them. Alot.

I was working at a client in your position a couple of years ago (although not with the team in question) where they were implementing customisations for Oracle Applications in a working system. They had all the passwords changed back to the defaults on the production system because they'd spent 3 months writing scripts with the passwords from the (default) development system hardcoded in them. THE SAME DAY this happened one of them (we never found who because they all logged on with the same generic user id APPS) dropped a production table. Lots of overtime for me, lots of unhappiness for the client.

I'd put everything I was unhappy about DBA wise in a document to the client and the development team manager beforehand, so instead of roasting me for poor DBAing, everything that I'd said needed to be changed was. Perhaps you'll fair better and get them into good habits before something is lost.