Re: Access Frontend - Case Sensitivity

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:40:57 +1000

It's certainly an interesting idea. But it means an awful lot of code in the front end, which is exactly what I don't want.

So far, I've got 30-odd tables with stacks of constraints, triggers, procedures and indexes. All that's in Access are bits of form navigation code. If I wanted to re-develop the thing in Java tomorrow, I could. Start doing things this way, and I have a lot of code to port (or at least to carry) across.

I'm beginning to think that the instead of trigger might be the way to go.

Regards
HJR "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:xSPR8.59904$EP.5254_at_sccrnsc03...
> That is a good idea. An improvement on your idea would be to use bind
> variables. Then you would start smoki'n.
> Jim
> "Bricklen Anderson" <bricklen_at_shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi Howard. I'm currently working on an Access front-end (GUI for
> > internal users). Due to Access' annoying habits/locking/commits, I've
> > just used command buttons for all code that is executed. Eg. When the
> > Save button is pushed, it fires off (for example):

> > DoCmd.RunSQL("INSERT INTO t VALUES
> > (Ucase(name),number,valueA,Ucase(valueB))")
> >
> > This allows me to dictate what needs to be uppercase on for inserts (or
> > updates).
> >
> > No problems over the last 3 months with it.
> >
> > Not that I know much about Access except what I've had to learn over the
> > past few months to work in it (as the front-end).
> >
> > hth
> >
> > Bricklen.
> >
> > if you need clarification etc, just drop me a line.
> >
> > "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> > >
> > > Something along these lines has been posted regularly in the past.
"Can