Re: Oracle 9i tunning

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:25:13 GMT

Joe wrote:

> Most 747s are acutally flow by autopilot...so SQL server would be the 747 I
> guess. The only think I need a little help with is the "takeoff".
>
> I am not building some huge enterprise db warehouse, it is a single user db
> with a couple big tables with respect to the size of the box I am running
> the db on. I only want to get some basic configuration advice so that what
> little resources my box has are working most efficiently...and I promise
> that I won't go around flaming Oracle if things don't work out...I am
> already sold on Oracle...I LIKE ORACLE.
>
> Joe
>
> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Joe wrote:
> >
> > > Wow, judging by the tone of the two responses of my post, I have decided
> > > that being an Oracle DBA must be *way* too stressful for me to handle.
> > > think SQL server is the correct choice for me.
> > >
> > > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message

> > > default
> executing
> > > DML
> with
> > > the
> > > extend
> > > (mostly
> > > situation,
> my

> > > Computer
> about
> also
> Gorman.

> > I agree. The comment above in this thread "I was constantly getting errors
> when
> > executing DML" is a clear indication of why it is wise to caution people
> not to
> > jump into Oracle and assume it is SQL Server, or any other RDBMS product
> for
> > that matter.
> >
> > I've never had it happen to me in over ten years. But then that might be
> because
> > I didn't assume I could use the product without learning it. Just because
> you
> > can fly a Cesna does not mean you can fly a 747 without additional
> training. And
> > the same applies here. They may both fly but they are not the same. (and
> please
> > don't assume that the preceding analogy includes some subtle or not so
> subtle
> > value judgement ... it does not).
> >
> > Daniel Morgan

Then, with that assurance in mind, here's what I would suggest (and this is not an attempt to blow you off):

Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com

Choose your version of Oracle.

Enter the search criterion 'SGA sizing'

Scroll down through the hits and click on 'Designing and Tuning for Performance'.

That should get you the starting point of exploring lots of things.

Snapshot too old likely means that either (A) you were doing incremental commits because you learned that in SQL Server and thought you should do it in Oracle ... you should not, or (B) your rollback segments were too small.

A failure to extend tablespaces and extents is due to not thinking through your requirements and (A) sizing objects appropriately to begin with, or (B) running out of disk space. I think almost all senior Oracle DBAs regard tablespace autoextend as a bad idea. And as table extents can run into the billions I'm not sure how you could run out of them unless you didn't specify max extents when building your tables and relied on the tablespace default to do your work for you.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jun 24 2002 - 15:25:13 CDT