Re: Oracle 9i tunning

From: Joe <joegenshlea_at_attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:38:39 GMT

Oh yeah...

80 Million rows may be nothing to Oracle but...

In the last job I had our fact table was 3 million rows and with the default Oracle 8i installation. I was constantly getting errors when executing DML SQL (It's been over a year so forgive me I am not entirely accurate with the syntax). The errors had to do with Snapshot too old, and failing to extend tablepace extents, etc...and we had a DBA with 15 years experience (mostly OLTP experience albeit). We solved these issues by tweeking the tablespaces, rollback segments,etc. From my experience with this situation, I decided to mess around with the configuration of the insallation in my test environment.

By the way, I am a one man shop, my background is in Economics not Computer Science or anything of the sort, so be kind! Most everything I know about Oracle I've picked up doing in a research and analysis capacity and also what I've gleaned from "Oracle 8i Data Warehousing" by Dodge and Gorman.

Joe