Re: end-of-file on communication channel?

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:01:57 -0400

Fred wrote:

> Could someone help with these errors? I am not sure where to begin from an
> Oracle angle troubleshooting them. Is there a specific log in regard to the
> database I should examine?
> Yes, this is amatuer hour...
>
> TIA, Larry

Need more input.
Provide: Oracle version, OS, OS version error message (in full with error number)
What is the application doing at the time you get this message? When do you get the messge?

bascially it means it received the EOF character on the channel.

From Metalink (1 of 100 results)
Error: ORA 3113
 Text: end-of-file on communication channel

 Cause: An unexpected end-of-file was processed on the communication channel.

         The problem could not be handled by the SQL*Net, two task, software.

         This message could occur if the shadow two-task process associated with

         a SQL*Net connect has terminated abnormally, or if there is a physical

         failure of the interprocess communication vehicle, that is, the
         network or server machine went down.

 Action: If this message occurs during a connection attempt, check the setup

         files for the appropriate SQL*net driver and confirm SQL*Net software

         is correctly installed on the server. If the message occurs after a

         connection is well established, and the error is not due to a physical

         failure, check if a trace file was generated on the server at failure

         time. Existence of a trace file may suggest an Oracle internal error

         that requires the assistance of customer support.

--
Regards,

Michael Austin            OpenVMS User since June 1984
First DBA Source, Inc.    Registered Linux User #261163
Sr. Consultant            http://www.firstdbasource.com
                          http://www.firstdbasource.com/donation.html
704-947-1089 (Office)     704-236-4377 (Mobile)