Re: MS SQLServer to Oracle data migration - info needed

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:46:26 +0100

"Paulus" <xxxx_at_xxxxx.xx> wrote in message news:YfZQ8.51433$j65.1224427_at_twister1.libero.it...
> you should use a blob column, but if you have only one column of image in
> your tables, you don't have to replicate this and the image is little
> enough, you can use the long raw type, that is a little easy to administer
> (for example, you can do a backup of the DB that include also the image
> because the data is stored into the datafiles).
>
> Pablo

Its only 8:30 in the morning and already I'm spluttering into my coffee what are you trying to do to me?

Long Raw's are not easy to administer (try moving them from one tablespace to another!) and they are a pain the behind to program for. Use BLOB's.

(not to mention the fact that they are deprecated and may cause hassle on upgrades.).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA