Re: web app down every three months

From: Joel Rees <jreesmf_at_mac.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2002 18:50:12 -0700

Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:<3D130514.755A02E0_at_mytoys.de>...
> Joel Rees wrote:
>
> > About every three months (rough estimate) the web application starts
> > sending visitors to our "busy" page. (That's the one that catches just
> > about everything but attempts to jump directly to URLs we don't want
> > visitors jumping directly to.) The logs seem to indicate the database
> > is in some strange state, so the customer re-boots the database
> > server. (The customer does not seem to like to re-boot the server.)
>
> Could you please define strange state?

Lots of time-outs, telling the program that data is not there even though it is, that kind of thing. We haven't actually been able to observe the symptoms ourselves, just read the logs.

Right now, I'm just thinking up bizzare ways to access the web app and we have another guy pounding away at it. I'm also planning to write a perl script to pound at it. I don't have a lot of experience with this stuff, so I'm just looking for some heads-ups.

We are also checking, of course, for intrusions.

Joel Rees Received on Sun Jun 23 2002 - 20:50:12 CDT