Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 06:52:48 GMT

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:19:17 GMT, Fred Pierce <fpierce_at_avialantic.com> wrote:
>Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
>> Norman Dunbar wrote:
>>

>>>Patrick,
>>>
>>>good luck. Management make decisions and we have to implement them.
>>>
>>>regards,
>>>Norman.
>>>
>>>-------------------------------------
>>>Norman Dunbar
>>>Database/Unix administrator
>>>Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
>>>mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
>>>Tel: 0113 289 6265
>>>Fax: 0113 289 3146
>>>

>> Only if you establish the relationship that way.
>>
>> Whenever I have been asked to do "stupid computer tricks" I write a
>> document stating my advice and asking the manager to sign stating that
>> they have received the advice and wish me to do it another way.
>>
>> One of two things happen:
>> 1. They quickly decide further investigation is required and end up not
>> doing what they originally intended.
>> 2. They refuse to accept responsibility and have me do it my way.
>> 3. They sign in which case I don't care as long as it isn't illegal or
>> immoral.
>>
>> Amazingly few choose option 3.
>>
>> A manager going against the advice of qualified technical personel is
>> being as reasonable as a defendant refusing to take the advice of an
>> attorney.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan
>>

>Yep. The DBA has to have political, diplomatic and managerial skills as
>well as be on firm technical footing. This is particularly true in an
>inherited situation, where the users, management et al are used to
>having things there way. In the situation I walked into, many had their
>own instances, dba privs, you name it - 22 instances in all. Oracle was
>treated like a desktop database. Lots of education about schemas,
>synonyms, security etc., discussion and in some cases, a form similar to
>yours when I was pressured to upgrade a production installation with no
>test installation. A series of passive DBA's can lead to some strange
>configurations indeed.
>
>fdp

Diplomatic skills? You'd never know from this newsgroup...

Hey everybody, how about a strange configuration thread! What's the highest bogosity you've seen? Let's see, I saw a 24/7 with a lot of stuff in the system TS, no regular backups (well, they were backing up all the files without quiescing the db...), totally fragged, developers doing development in the one instance and implementing changes themselves, 8 bit data in US ASCII 7 bit, design starting to vary quite a bit from implementation...

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://www.garry.to                                       Oracle and unix guy.