Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 06:38:50 GMT

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:07:13 +0100, Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
>"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
>> You are hopelessly idealistic.
>
>Thanks. I am indeed both idealistic and cynical.
>
>> Often, there will be old crud that
>> requires the instance to be shut down for whatever reason (imps from
>> elsewhere known to blow db, strange propagation requirements, strange
>> upgrade/release requirements, etc.).
>
>Apps like this though often require the server to be restarted as well, so
>I'm going to hang out for 2 further boxes specifically for this application
>along with all the associated costs.
>

>> But of course, Oracle says 9i is just _made_ for mixing DW and
>transactions,
>> eh? And They're always right and They never lie. Larry did say we don't
>> need DBA's anymore.
>
>This is often quoted but I'm not sure it was ever actually said. I thought
>what had been said was that 9i would reduce the management costs in your
>organisation. Even though that's our jobs they're talking about I'd
>certainly hope so. I'm not going to tocuh the mixed workload argument though
><VBG>.

Supposedly Larry said it during FUD time about 2 years ago at an Open World. As related during IOUG San Diego closing session.

>> Sorry, that old V6 app is just gonna have to be upgraded, darn it.
>
>Nah still running. Current date June 20 1972 and only three days have passed
>since the break in at the Watergate Hotel

ROTFL! As one who used to watch PDP programs break every January, have to enter those new code licenses you know...

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://www.garry.to                                       Oracle and unix guy.