Re: Max memory for Oracle on Linux

From: Eric P. McCoy <ctr2sprt_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:45:16 GMT

"TR" <tman_at_tman.dnsalias.com> writes:

> What is the max memory I can put into this beast, and have it be useable to
> Oracle for buffering I/O, e.g. the SGA, buffer cache, etc.?
> I assume that since pointers are 32-bit types, the max is prob 2GB, maybe
> 3GB, since not the full 32-bits is useful to applications.

It's 3GB per process by default. You can apply patches to increase that to 3.5GB.

> Application is currently on SQL Server 2K, and I estimate the working set is
> about 10GB. (SQL Server has Address Window Extensions, which swap pages of
> buffer in and out of a 32-bit address range, enabling usage of massive
> amounts of buffer). Not sure if Oracle on Linux has such a feature.

It's Linux, not Oracle, that would be the limiter in that case. If Oracle is properly designed (it probably is; DB2 is, for example), it uses several processes both to take advantage of multiple processors and to get around the memory limits.

It's too late for this now, but your best solution would've been to buy a 64-bit machine, which suffers from none of these limitations.

This is really more of a hardware question, but followups to cold.apps anyway.

--
Eric McCoy (reverse "ten.xoc_at_mpe", mail to "ctr2sprt" is filtered)

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass."	- John Novak, rasfwrj