HP SuperDome, Oracle 8.1.7, EMC and LVM striping: a catharsis.

From: Tesseract <rwfrier_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:45:01 -0700

HP Superdome, LVM Striping, and EMC
Please lend me your thoughts on the Efficacy of LVM striping with: large Oracle BC (buffer cache),large Unix BC, huge EMC BC, and ultimately, no control over actual placement on the physical drives on EMC (Raid 1)? stats: 1.2 TB DB, HP Superdome, 18 CPU, Oracle 8.1.7 Corporate environment: over-taxed SA's, dis-interested storage admin group.

How to measure the effectiveness of an LVM striping configuration when our environment has the above-mentioned characteristics? It seems to me that any potential benefit of striping would NOT be gained by LVM striping, that in fact the LVM striping would become an unnecessary layer of complexity. Initial comparisons of Oracle and SAR don't point to anything specific, either because of inadequate stress and volume testing because we don't have collaboration between me (dba), unix SA's, and storage group despite diplomacy.
Please send wisdom: fight for my rights or take the storage and run?

--
Russ Frier
DBA