Re: Outer Join Syntax

From: Bill Garcia <garcia.wj_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:42:39 GMT

I wounder how you feel about the new ANSI/ISO JOIN syntax in Oracle 9i. I have just run in to it as I study for the 9i SQL intro course. It looks like some of these guys at ANSI took their college professors to heart when they said make it intuitive. What happen to simplicity. An equal sign and plus sign seem much simpler than six different phrases and still having to use the equal sign. I am not sure what the ANSI SQL98 syntax was but I dont like the new one. It seems that this mentallity of having a lot more memeory and disk space why not use it is really catching on. I miss the days when a programmer would spend days figuring out the most efficient, elegant way to do something.

Bill Garcia
Tampa, FL