Re: First time DB install !Help! -- I'm so new it's sickening

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:19:22 +0200

Andrew Falanga wrote:

> The install appears to be fine. However, I'm to a point where I'm
> installing the Oracle Management Server, and it's asking me for a
> username/password combination as well as service. I didn't set up
> (chose to defer until later) the Oracle Net Server. In this senario,
> done this, and that's fine. However, I can't figure out what
> username/password to use.
>
> I tried the oracle user combination, but that didn't work. Said it
> was invalid. Just prior to getting to this window I had to give
> passwords to two users called SYS and SYSTEM. I've tried both of them,
> but it doesn't like them either. When I use the SYSTEM account I get
> invalid username/password. When I use SYS, it says that SYS should be
> specified as sysdba or sysoper. I then try sysdba or sysoper to no
> avail either.
>
> Is there a built in account that Oracle is expecting for this
> purpose? What is it? Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, I've
> tried to find the answer in the Installation Guide, but haven't found it
> yet.

The OMS (Oracle Management Server) requires a database where it can store its repository. Do not use sys or system to store your data! Create an exclusive account just for OMS, grant it the needed privileges and enter the information when starting or configuring OMS. There are some other things to consider (extra tablespace for oms repository etc) that's why I'm afraid you have to read and learn some basics before starting with Oracle.

Regards,

Knut Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 10:19:22 CDT