Re: backup options

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:43:08 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Which is certainly possible (I've done it, once). But there's a hell of a
> kerfuffle getting the old primary to now be the standby and direct all the
> redo from the new primary back to it. Not exactly flip-flop if I remember...
> more like a "kerflunk, damn, blast, kerfloffle, plonk, ah! damn, bummer,
> "get me a beer", bink!, ping!, sodit".

You got the beer part right, that's for sure!

> I'm sure the whitepaper puts it more elegantly!

It's a good paper, but dense for Oracle B&R newbies... not for the faint of heart. But worth a read.

> I do *try* not to be hyperbolically didactic. Sometimes I flunk it. Still
> reckon the gist was more or less right, though.

Far more than less, definitely. I just figured the topic was interesting enough to toss around w/the others here in the group, and maybe the original poster, with enough research, might find the technique useful.

BTW, I forgot to add to my orignal post... you can also mimmick 9i DG's no data loss behavior in pre-9i releases via hardware. Basically just mount up some non-local (geographically speaking) disk to your production host and put one member of each online redo log group on that mount point, and voila, you approach the no data loss capabilities of 9i DG (assuming, of course, that you also have a standby database off-site). It's not quite as nice/robust since if Oracle can't write to this remotely located mount point it'll just mark those redo members as bad and continue (whereas you can configure 9i to crash to prevent data divergence), but it gets you pretty close.

Regards,
Sean M Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 09:43:08 CDT