Re: Change Rollback Segment

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:33:16 +1000

No. Unless you use the 'set transaction' command (which has to be the first line of the transaction, so it shouldn't be needed in many places, unless you are dealing with lots of transactions), then Oracle's policy is to assign your transaction to the rollback segment with the fewest number of active transactions.

Other things being equal, such a policy should mean that all rollback segments eventually becoming more or less the same size as each other.

The only other way to influence Oracle's choice of segment is to offline the ones you don't want used, start your transaction, and then immediately online them again (once a transaction has started, it has to finish in the same rollback segment, so the others don't need to be offline for the duration).

Regards