Re: backup options

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:43:11 +1000

"tshen" <tshen01_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3%vQ8.36425$Na1.1120842_at_news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> hi, guys:
>
> We use oracle 8.1.7, Now we need a disaster recovery DB, replication is
> not an option. is standby is a good option?

It's OK as these things go. It entirely depends on what your requirements are. For example, if you demand absolutely no data loss, then forget it. The Standby Database is guaranteed to be one redo log behind Primary (ie, the current one which hasn't been archived yet, and therefore not shipped to the Standby). That means if Primary is struck by an asteroid, you can be pretty confident that you'll have lost data (whether that makes the slightest bit of difference in the event of an asteroid strike, I leave you to work out!).

However, Standby does give you geographical location independence with minimal impact on transaction processing at the Primary site. So that's good. If you've the Enterprise Edition of 8.1.7, then transfer of redo to the Standby site can be automated and error-proofed. And that's good too.

For total data security with a standby, you need 9i and Data Guard, though.

> Is oracle 8.1.7 allows DBA to put DB back into standby mode after
bring
> it up?

Nope, utterly 100% absolutely impossible. Activating the standby causes a resetlogs to be issued, therefore it can never again becoem the standby. You are supposed to fix your old primary and turn that into the new standby. Again, if you want the ability to flip-flop between primary and standby roles, you need 9i.

>any good article that can help me build a standby DB? thanks.

None that I know of. Someone else will provide one, I'm sure.

Regards
HJR