no mem, server hung

From: RR <rickraster_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 07:42:54 -0700

Hi all. Bit stumped here (hopefully just a simple problem):

os Redhat 7.2
v. 8.1.7
500+M swap
312 ram

it's a small production server (4 gigs), has run fine for the last 8 months. Recently we have had an increase in the volume of data.

Over the weekend, the server hung due to lack of memory, taken up by Oracle processes (as shown by ps aux). free -t over a period of time shows that the memory and swap is steadily getting eaten up. I rebooted the database yesterday at 5pm, and by 7am this morning, the mem was done and it was hung again.

Has anyone come across this problem before, or have any suggestions on where I should be looking for possible problem areas?

TIA Rick Received on Thu Jun 20 2002 - 09:42:54 CDT