Re: What should I do with my certification?

From: Christopher Boyle <cboyle_at_hargray.dot.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:00:37 -0400

> There are even organizations still running Oracle versions prior to
> 8i. These people are called "idiots" since it's not supported.

Hmm, they are also called practical. There are applications that are already in place that are not certified for Oracle 8.1.7 and above. Why should anyone be forced to ditch a working tool just to be on the latest and greatest? With as fast as Oracle kills off versions you would always be in development. Not to mention that Oracle's definition of support ("Install the latest patch set") and mine vary greatly. If they can't tell me what specific problem the patch set is going to fix then they are wasting my time. I don't want to go through all the time of testing the DB after an upgrade because they think that a patchset MIGHT fix it. (PS I have also dealt with some very very good people at Oracle but the first level response has always been patch it)