Re: Good Oracle DBA book

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 06:36:51 GMT

On 13 Jun 2002 06:37:29 -0700, Mike Ault <mikerault_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
>I know I am asking for it, but I need to know, why isn't anyone using
>my book: "Oracle8i Administration and Management" from John Wiley and
>Sons?

'Cause I have your 8 book, and the book club seems to have got me into the O press books somehow. But only 2 more days and I'll buy yours.

Jeez, I just counted I have 27 books with Oracle in the title more than an inch thick. Not counting actual manuals...

>The new release will be out June 21, 2002 for 9i.
>
>I include tons of monitoring scripts, many techniques for tuning and
>monitoring. Is it just not available or are the other books that much
>better? Is it content or just lack of marketing from Wiley?

I think it is the microsoftization of our industry. Just give the "computer guy" the OEM disk, he don't need no steenkin scripts...

>If it is content I can do something about that. If it is marketing I
>am screwed...

Marketing is most of it. Perhaps that is why another famous Ellison (IIRC) said 98% of everything is crap.

>Mike Ault
>"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<gMUN8.11154$Hj3.35728_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> I would strongly recommend the Harry Potter series of books. A bit of magic
>> and wizardry goes a long way in this business :)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Richard
>> "Robert Banniza" <rpbanniz_at_ascensionhealth.org> wrote in message
>> > There are a blue million Oracle books on the market. Can someone
>> > recommend a good Oracle book aimed at DBA functions and optimization.
>> > I'm using Oracle 8.1.7. I have the O'Reilly Oracle DBA book as well as
>> > the Performance Tuning book. I have seen mentions of "Practical Oracle
>> > 8i: Building Efficient Databases" by Jonathan Lewis. Any help
>> > appreciated. Please respond to me via email as well as a CC to the group.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Robert

jg

--