Re: Help: OFA vs. RAID5 Best Drive Config

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 23:17:01 -0700

"AF" <af_at_nospaming.com> wrote in message news:<aer4vi$i9a$1_at_pith.uoregon.edu>...
> I have read conflicting recommendations about HD Config:
> I have heard that RAID5 is best for Warehouse Apps.
> I have also read that OFA is the best way to reduce drive contention.
> Which is better for my system
>
> I have 4-73GB hard drives and a Single Channel SCSI RAID controller. I
> have a data warehouse type application. The only DML is INSERT and this is
> done quarterly. There are only a few partitioned tables and they are about
> 6GB. The Queries are usually complex joins and large aggregate sets.
> Sometimes these queries require temporary tables that may have Insert and
> update DML.

With only four disc and one controller you're limited to use RAID5, because you don't have enough drives to use different placement schema. However, even for RAID5 are four drives not very good, because you'll lost one quarter of overall capacity and also perfomance gains can be bigger with more disc.
This is a very common problem with nowadays big disc drives. 16x 18gigs has the same capacity, but much better flexibility in placement (of course only if you have enough disc slots and controllers).

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.