Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 06:04:53 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:56:18 +0100, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>"Patrick Meyer" <buckeye234_at_excite.com> wrote in message
>> Currently, we have a number of servers that each serve as a home for a
>> single instance. The management plan is to dispose of these individual
>> servers to decrease the enormous depreciation they are faced with and
>> to minimize on-going maintenance costs. Some of the servers are rather
>> old.
>
>This doesn't seem unreasonable - so long as they accept that you replace 10
>4 processor boxes with a 40 processor box if needed.
>

>> As I said, they want to move most everything to a single server. I
>> agree that more tablespaces and schema's are better, where applicable.
>> Unfortunately, I live in the real world that has real world
>> restrictions. Like third party applications that dictate which database
>> version we must use. I can't combine the databases for Vendor A and
>> Vendor B, if Vendor A upgrades application and database versions twice
>> as fast as Vendor B.
>>
>> For some insane reason, the application folks want to stick with Vendor
>> certification as dictated in the support agreements. <--- Extreme
>> sarcasm.
>
>I too need to have 'supported versions'. On Unix you can have multiple
>Oracle homes for all (reasonably) supported versions of Oracle (by vendors
>not oracle). That is 7.3.4.4, 8.0.6.x, 8.1.7.3 - and even 9i (hah!). If
>vendor A issues an upgrade requiring a later oracle version then
>export/import ought to be your friend. That gives by my reckoning a max of 2
>boxes (test and live) with 4 oracle homes and x processors each. each app
>lives in its own schema with its own tablespaces. or am I just hopelessly
>idealistic?

You are hopelessly idealistic. Often, there will be old crud that requires the instance to be shut down for whatever reason (imps from elsewhere known to blow db, strange propagation requirements, strange upgrade/release requirements, etc.).

But of course, Oracle says 9i is just _made_ for mixing DW and transactions, eh? And They're always right and They never lie. Larry did say we don't need DBA's anymore.

Sorry, that old V6 app is just gonna have to be upgraded, darn it.

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://www.garry.to                                       Oracle and unix guy.