Re: What should I do with my certification?

From: Andy <enzoweb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2002 17:39:12 -0700

I looked into this recently (about 4 months ago), and it was possible to just take the exams and not do the classes.

I have decided not to go for certification because

  1. I see it as an income-generation exercise for Oracle.
  2. Not enough people are making it a pre-requisite for a job (I'm a contractor).
  3. I have 9 years as an Oracle DBA, and think this will enable me to compete with OCP's.
  4. I can't afford it. I calculated that to do all the classes and sit all the exams would cost me about $17,000 (Aussie). And that's not taking into account my lost earnings while I'm on the courses.

I'll reconsider when more people start asking for it, but hopefully my experience will keep me ahead of the game for a while.