Re: urgent: production database hangs on mount stage and won't open

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:41:32 +1000

"chao_ping" <chao_ping_at_163.com> wrote in message news:3d1021e5$1_at_usenetgateway.com...
> Hi, grurus: This is a production database 8.1.7.2 on aix 4.3.3, there
> are 17 instances running on the same box. I shutdown immediate the
> database and it hangs.After wait for one hour, i do a shutdown abort.
> When i startup again, it failed to open the database , just hangs at
> this stage like: Sun Jun 16 09:36:40 2002 SMON: enabling cache recovery
> SMON: enabling tx recovery And the sql*plus window hangs at : database
> mounted, but never showed open. From another shell prompt, i sqlplus
> internal and query the instance, it showed instance open in read write
> state! But from remote node via listener, client process showed 0134:
> oracle not available. I once met such kind of questions on sun solaris,
> it is because of solaris bug.But never heard of this kind on AIX. Oracle
> support suggest reboot the server, but as there is 16 other instance on
> it, it is not the solution. Can anyone help? Great thanks.

I can't help with your specific problem, but your comment that a server reboot is not an option because it houses 16 other instances is the classic riposte to a completely different thread concerning whether multiple instances on one server is a good idea.

Quite clearly, it isn't!!

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 17:41:32 CDT