Re: windows2000 Oracle 817 behind firewall

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:21:37 +0200

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> The database server needs to be restarted after settting the environment
> variable AND your firewall needs to be aware of sqlnet/net8 traffic.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> Please include version and platform
> and SQL where applicable
> It makes life easier and increases the
> likelihood of a good answer

> "Svend Jensen" <Svend_at_OracleCare.Com> wrote in message
>

>>Senario: The IAS (client in this case) must connect to dedicated (not
>>MTS) database hidden behind firewall(s).
>>The firewall(s) allows tcp connections on say port 80 (http), 443
>>(https) and 1521 (sql*net/listener).
>>The initial connection is established, autorisation is granted and the
>>connection is redirected to some random port (> 1000) ie. 1610, 2843
>>The firewall perhibits successfull redirection and the client ses this
>>as ora-3113 end of communication channel or the something alike.
>>
>>The cure (metalink) is to set USE_SHARED_SOCKET in system
>>enviroment/registry. But this doesnt work, random port asignment is
>>still in force. This is due to using socket 1.1 according to Support,
>>and we must use socket 2.0.
>>Windows resource kit says both socket 1.1 and 2.0 is installed and the
>>named files are physical there, but apparently not used.
>>
>>A less nice solution is to use MTS and connection manager (cman), if it
>>works(!?!), but I would rather stick with dedicated mode.
>>
>>Anybody cracked this nut(case)?
>>
>>Svend Jensen

Reboot is tried. I am testing with another inhouse server (excluding the firewall for now), and check the listener.log for the new connections and the port assigned to the new session. I forgot to mention that the server has two network cards and is connected to ethernet and token ring network in separate address spaces. I have tried with two listeners, one for each network without success. And one listener for both networks - tree combinations of address:port plus the IPC and extproc. None will work. Also tried the MTS option, and that refuses to spawn/enable shared connection, saying no service to fullfill ??...?? Requesting dedicated connection works (server=dedicated in tns_names.ora).

Anybody out there having similar setup? And knows a fix?

rgds

/Svend Jensen Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 12:21:37 CDT