Re: 30 instances on one host

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:42:32 GMT

Norman Dunbar wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> good luck. Management make decisions and we have to implement them.
>
> regards,
> Norman.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
> mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
> Tel: 0113 289 6265
> Fax: 0113 289 3146

Only if you establish the relationship that way.

Whenever I have been asked to do "stupid computer tricks" I write a document stating my advice and asking the manager to sign stating that they have received the advice and wish me to do it another way.

One of two things happen:
1. They quickly decide further investigation is required and end up not doing what they originally intended.
2. They refuse to accept responsibility and have me do it my way. 3. They sign in which case I don't care as long as it isn't illegal or immoral.

Amazingly few choose option 3.

A manager going against the advice of qualified technical personel is being as reasonable as a defendant refusing to take the advice of an attorney.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 11:42:32 CDT