Re: urgent: production database hangs on mount stage and won't open

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_removetoemail_odbaguru.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:28:12 +1000

Are the trace files generated when you tried to re-start the instance?? If so they may point to the actual problem.

I've had something that sounds a little bit similar on AIX with 8.1.7 and it turned out that the SGA's memory segment had never been deallocated at a UNIX Kernel level and so when a restart was tried the instance was hooking back into the old segment, due to name being the same, but not working properly. One of the UNIX admins at that site was ex-IBM development and he managed to kill it for me. However we were getting a trace file with memory allocation errors in it, so as I said at the top look for a trace file to point the way!

Kind Regards,

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle Administration
www.brainbench.com